Friday 6 April 2012

Hanji Craft



I suppose many of you may not be familiar with Hanji craft let alone Hanji paper.
Hanji is Korean traditional paper made from the inner bark of the Mulberry tree and it is used for many things including paintings, scrolls, books as well as household items. Using this beautiful Korean Hanji paper, I make personal items such as jewellery, jewellery boxes, vanity boxes and pocket mirrors, trays, fruit bowls, and small drawers. I use Korean traditional Hanji craft method which involves pasting many layers of Hanji paper onto a pre-framed objects.  For example, to make a jewellery box, I use thick pressed paper board to form the box shape and then paste layers of paper onto it. Some of them are decorated with cut out patterns of various symbols wishing health and good luck. All items I make can be functional or decorative.

No comments:

Post a Comment